Welcome to your quick-fire, end of week update with a few bite-sized bullet points covering what we’re learning about and loving in three areas: fitness, nutrition and mindset. One bullet from each trainer, a little nugget of health and fitness gold.
FITNESS: Vee is City2Surfing
Understatement of the year; Vee is excited about running the City2Surf this Sunday. Not only is Sydney’s City2Surf is the biggest fun run in the world, it’s officially Vee’s fave day each year. Her main goal is to make sure all Agogians have as much fun as she does, so follow these tips to get the most out of your run:
- Keep hydrated by drinking 3 litres of water today and tomorrow
- Enjoy some rest before the big day; gentle walking, foam rolling and stretching are winners
- Make a race plan (transport, outfit, pre-race nutrition, post-race meeting spot etc)
- DON’T use ‘carb loading’ as an excuse for binging. Carb loading only works for longer races such as full and ultra marathons (FACT)!
The Night Before
- Stay away from alcohol!
- Have a small, light Saturday dinner (lots of veggies and a small amount of meat/fish)
- Keeping your fluids up
- Go to bed early
- Get up early and have a small breakfast that’s easy to digest (don’t try anything new). Vee loves having a banana with a black coffee
- Wear an old jumper that you can leave at the start line for the charity pick-up
- Get to the start line nice & early to warm up
- Have fun! C2S is not a race to smash your PB; it’s time to celebrate movement
- Eat before you start celebrating post-race (you know what Vee’s talking about!)
NUTRITION: Lib wants you to read this article before you start ‘dieting’ for summer
This article is about how your brain and hormones control your hunger and regulate fat storage/burning and how eating the wrong foods (no matter how ‘low calorie’ and convenient they are) can overthrow the brain’s ‘stop eating’ signals and encourage your body to fight to hold on to any weight you’ve gained. It’s about how tasty + fun = no shut-off switch. It’s about how your brain LOVES processed food, but your body doesn’t. It’s about how changing what you eat can change your brain in a million good ways. And it’s about how changing your brain can help shrink your waistline and make you perform better in the gym and at work. It may even improve your moods and it will certainly make you feel better. So y’know, read on… the juicy bits are towards the bottom of the article (it’s a long one), so stay strong and keep reading! Happy nerding.
MINDSET: Nic loves this Ido Portal quote
“Move. Find little excuses to do so. Play games with yourself.
Squat to wait for someone instead of sitting.
Climb the stairs two by two and don’t take the elevator.
See that bus you’re about to miss? Sprint to it.
Even if you know you are going to miss it…
Stretch – all the time. Like a cat does.
Carry some 8 packs of 1.5 litre water bottles back to your place.
Hold your breath under water in your hot tub and time yourself.
Hang from stuff that you can hang from – wherever that is.
If you can – pull up or brachiate.
Got a pet? Go to the park. MOVE.
Got a partner? Loved one? Child? MOVE!
Because you can. If you won’t – tomorrow you might not be able to. MOVE.”
Thanks for reading Agogians! Have a fantastic weekend, and we’ll see you in the studio.